Building a community of love+flowers+joy+creativity=Respect 4 life

This is my magical portal to the world. I present you with what is stirring in my soul. This is a place for you to come and open your heart and open your mind. Step inside.......................

Monday, October 22, 2007

Musical Inspiration

I have been getting a lot of emails, and inquiries after performances about where my musical inspiration comes from. To begin, thank you for asking! It feels so wonderful that people care, and are touched by the music.

I think this is a huge topic - one that could fill a whole book - so I will comment on this one on an ongoing practice - till I am left with nothing else to express on the matter. And feel free to email questions for me to answer.

In the process of writing a song - I usually have no idea what I am writing about. I also paint, and this is the same way that I start a painting. I am guided by many things...Overwhelming emotion, is one-so lets start there.

When something has happened in my life that I feel with intense emotion, it wells up in me, and I find that pouring it into music is a beautiful way to express it. I have intentions that I live by as part of my personal spiritual practice that color my viewpoint. These intentions help me to create music (and art) that aims to uplift and inspire.

Listening to what seems to be "out there" these days -(there is so much anger and negativity in music, with no real kindness or resolution for something more) I really wish more artists would step up to their own greatness, and help others to do the same.

I have known people from every possible upbringing - and I can tell you, it certainly seems that the human spirit can overcome anything - and achieve anything. So I think its a cheap lie to use an excuse of poverty, or living in ignorance as the reason for all this ugliness. You have only to reach back in time, and you will find numerous examples of great people who have come from very little.

So what I am saying is that our INTENTION - creates our reality/results - in whatever we are endeavoring to create.

When I write, I start from the place I am in at the moment. My humanity. My troubles, and fears, and doubts, and concerns - and I hope that the song will lead me to a place of realization, release, and perhaps an answer. I intend to give a gift to the listener. An offering - that requires me to drop my "self" or "ego" - and reach into the universal consciousness.

I recommend silence, stillness, meditation, raw vegan living, simplifying your life - in order to attain these things. They have other benefits as well. More later on those.

And please be aware that this is an ongoing practice, a craft. Its not about getting somewhere, or achieving something. You can achieve anything - but great songwriting, and artistry has a much different focus. A higher purpose. A deeper reality in your living being.

I just want to say, that as an artist, To other aspiring and currently creating artists - we are designed to be ultra-sensitive. To feel and hear and sense and smell and taste and know things in a very heightened way - that most people like to belittle when you are "ordinary" and praise when you are "celestial" aka a "star." Be kind to yourselves. This world doesn't yet understand. But you do. And you are not alone. Trust your inner knowing. And create community with others who resonate at the same frequency. And hey, I love ya!

Oh - and we are all "stars"


No comments: